February 27, 2009

Wedding Scarf

Some of my dear friends are getting married this weekend and I wanted to make Kate something in addition to their 'formal' present.

Kate likes soft, vintage-y, delicate things and I think this pale greeny-blue is one of her favourite colours so I made her a scarf trying to incorporate these things. I thought this would be a good project to document because usually I have my head stuck in the work and don't think to look up.

So, this is my Singer knitting machine, a commercial punchcard to create the fabric pattern (or in my case, texture), and the raw materials, wool and alpaca.



The fabric for the main body of the scarf hanging on the machine


The tools of the trade, used for moving stitches


Pinning another finer piece of fabric I knitted with alpaca onto the main body of the scarf - you can see here the fair isle pattern from the card, but I elected to use the textural side instead


Sewing the two fabrics together - in our classes we were not encouraged to sew the knitted fabric. You can join fabrics on the knitting machine or a linker, but in this case the fabrics were so fine I would need another whole machine with finer needles to join them - so sewing it was


And the scarf, shown a few different ways. I hope she likes it!