February 25, 2009

Karl Fritsch Jewelry

Today I paid a visit to the wonderful Gallery Funaki and discovered the beautiful work of German jeweler Karl Fritsch. Being the jewelry ignoramus that I am, I didn't know that Fritsch is a high profile, highly collectable designer. But all the better, because I fell in love with his work anyway. I've posted images of some of his more conventional pieces because I have to fulfill a personal ring shopping mission, but some of his work is pretty out there. In reading about his philosophy on materials, I love his work even more. In explaining his unusual mix of 'precious' and 'non precious' materials and unconventional methods, the gallery says 'for Karl understands that in essence, all materials are equal - for they are simply matter - and the value humans ascribe to material does not actually exist anywhere other than as a concept' (you can read the whole piece here).






Images from here